Celebrating 200 Years

During celebration of the 200th anniversary of the founding of St. Mary Parish earlier this month, St. Mary Landmarks Society presented a replica of the official legislation creating the parish to St. Mary Parish Government. Act 104 of the Second Session of the Third Legislature of the Territory of Orleans divided the Attakapas County into St. Mary and St. Martin parishes. It was signed by Louisiana Territorial Governor William C.C. Claiborne on April 17, 1811. From left are Tammy Doucet, parish personnel director; Landmarks president Pam Daniels; parish President Paul Naquin; Landmarks vice-president Pam Hefner, and Carrie Stansbury, director of the Cajun Coast Visitor and Convention Bureau. The second half of the parish anniversary celebration will be held Oct. 14-16 in the Franklin area. (Copy of the legislation courtesy the Historic New Orleans Collection research department.)

St. Mary Now & Franklin Banner-Tribune

Franklin Banner-Tribune
P.O. Box 566, Franklin, LA 70538
Phone: 337-828-3706
Fax: 337-828-2874

Morgan City Daily Review
P.O. Box 948, Morgan City, LA 70381
Phone: 985-384-8370
Fax: 985-384-4255

Follow Us