Berwick South Road to close Thursday
Work on Berwick South Road, including the changing of a precast bridge just past the parish landfill, will begin Thursday and continue for six months.
The structure will replace a bridge that is about 30 feet long that crosses a small canal south of the Harold J. “Babe” Landry Landfill in Berwick.
However, Berwick South Road from U.S. 90 south to the bridge will be reconstructed, too.
The bridge replacement time is expected to take up to 92 calendar days from the date of closure.
During that time, all traffic, except those who must access the landfill, will access River Road through the Town of Berwick.
After the bridge is complete, reconstruction of the roadway from U.S. 90 south to the bridge will begin. The reconstruction will be performed one lane at a time, but only southbound access to River Road will be allowed.
After the first lane is reconstructed, southbound traffic will utilize it while the other lane is reconstructed.
Northbound traffic must continue to use River Road at all times, though.
The $1.66 million project will be funded using the remaining funds of an approximately $8.3 million Coastal Impact Assistance Program grant the parish received in recent years.
The grant, funded through oil and gas royalties paid to the federal government, mandated the parish spend 80 percent of its money on coastal restoration projects. The remaining 20 percent could be used for transportation and infrastructure projects.
“We identified that road as one that serves oil and gas industry,” St. Mary Parish Chief Administrative Officer Henry “Bo” LaGrange said, adding that it and the bridge needed an upgrade.