Apartment fire leaves six families homeless
Six Morgan City families were left homeless after a fire is believed to have started on a stove late Friday evening.
Morgan City Fire Chief Morris Price said the six apartments at 301 Patton Street in Wyandotte Subdivision sustained an estimated $300,000 in property damage in the 9:46 p.m. blaze. An additional $75,000 in contents are estimated to have been lost.
The fire started in an upstairs apartment, causing water damage to the apartments below as the fire was extinguished, the chief said.
A ladder truck, three pumper trucks, 11 off-duty personnel, eight on-duty personnel and five volunteer firefighters responded. The fire was contained by 1:48 a.m. Saturday. No injuries were reported.
The apartments are owned by Chris Marcel. Occupant names were not available this morning.
The families were taken in by the East St. Mary Ministerial Alliance the night of the fire, Price said.